Promissory note needing to pay sponsorship fees for immigration if employee does not finish 3 years of work.

Asked over 1 year ago - Dekalb, IL

Is it legal for employers to have you sign a promissory note that if you do not finish 3 years of work with them, you will have to pay them the amount they spent for immigration and lawyers fees since they petitioned me for greencard?

1. Stephen D. Berman

4

Answered . Probably not. A promissory note means a check, its a liquidated damages provision. Perhaps you mean a promise, not a promissory note?

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . I agree. Probably not.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . You need to present the exact document with the exact language to a labor attorney in your area for a better guidance of its legality.

4. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . Not an immigration law question. Repost at the employment / labor law section.