Processing time for I-485?

Asked about 1 year ago - North Richland Hills, TX

I got my I-130 approved and my I-485 is initially accepted. We filed I-485 on August 19,2013 when F2A visa category was current. How long it may take to get I-485 approved?Or to get work permit?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . That depends on the post. Processing times are on www.uscis.gov

2. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

4

Answered . The Work Permit ("Employment Authorization Document") will take about 60-90 days from filing. The I-485 approval may take quite some time. Processing depends on: normal USCIS processing time for turning around the application, and whether the priority date stays current. Normally, if the priority date was to remain current, it would take about 5-9 months--give or take--to process the application. However, as this category is likely to retrogress come October 1st, it may be several years before it opens up again. The good news is that during this time, the beneficiary is generally considered to be here in an authorized status and can renew the Work Permit. Meanwhile, if the petitioner Naturalizes while waiting for the F-2A to be current again, the pending I-485 can be upgraded to immediate relative processing, which would mean the priority date doesn't matter any more and the green card will be issued--barring other inadmissibilities and assuming its done properly--within about 3- 6 months of upgrading.

Jeff Khurgel
    Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- Representing Clients in All 50 States
    Office (949) 509-6515
    Web www.khurgel.com
    Email info@khurgel.com

3. Bindi Chintan Parikh

3

Answered . The work permit will be available within 90 days. But the I-485 may take longer. Please look up the USCIS website www.uscis.gov for current processing times.

Bindi Parikh
    Attorney at law
    Parikh & Prasad Law Group
    bindi@path2immigration.com

4. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Probably years, as the priority dates will retrogress in October.