Processing time for I-485?

North Richland Hills, TX |

I got my I-130 approved and my I-485 is initially accepted. We filed I-485 on August 19,2013 when F2A visa category was current. How long it may take to get I-485 approved?Or to get work permit?

That depends on the post. Processing times are on

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

The work permit will be available within 90 days. But the I-485 may take longer. Please look up the USCIS website for current processing times.

Bindi Parikh
Attorney at law
Parikh & Prasad Law Group

The Work Permit ("Employment Authorization Document") will take about 60-90 days from filing. The I-485 approval may take quite some time. Processing depends on: normal USCIS processing time for turning around the application, and whether the priority date stays current. Normally, if the priority date was to remain current, it would take about 5-9 months--give or take--to process the application. However, as this category is likely to retrogress come October 1st, it may be several years before it opens up again. The good news is that during this time, the beneficiary is generally considered to be here in an authorized status and can renew the Work Permit. Meanwhile, if the petitioner Naturalizes while waiting for the F-2A to be current again, the pending I-485 can be upgraded to immediate relative processing, which would mean the priority date doesn't matter any more and the green card will be issued--barring other inadmissibilities and assuming its done properly--within about 3- 6 months of upgrading.

Jeff Khurgel
Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- Representing Clients in All 50 States
Office (949) 509-6515

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- Representing Clients in all 50 States and Worldwide / 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 / Irvine, CA 92612 / Office: (949) 509-6515 / Direct: (949) 535-6331 / Web: / Email: / Attorney Khurgel is a former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer.

Probably years, as the priority dates will retrogress in October.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Recommended articles about Employment