Process Serves

Asked over 1 year ago - Tacoma, WA

I am in the process of trying to serve my ex with papers for notice of show cause hearing. I have hired a process server as I live in California and my ex lives in Washington. The process server has made several attempts to serve her. she has had her living boyfriend answer the door and say she is not home, and now she has just stopped answering the door. My question is do I have to try other methods of serves (e.i. mail, publication), or will a letter from the process server stating that he has tried and failed because of avoidance be enough of an attempt in the eyes of the judge? Plus she has already stated in e-mail conversations that she has knowledge of the court date.

Additional information

(i.e. mail, publication)......

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thomas Creekpaum

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Ask your process server to attempt service at places other than her home. Ask the process server to wait outside of her work, outside of the gym, or where she gets her hair done. Find out as much as you can about your ex's daily schedule and try to have her served when she is not expecting it. I suggest hiring a different process server if these options have not already been presented to you.

  2. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Have the process service keep trying. Meanwhile hire a private investigator. Uncover work, shopping and recreation habits so the process server knows when and where to get service.

  3. Frank L. LaBare

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is unlikely that her just avoiding service will be enough to get the court to approve an alternate form of service. The right person will find a way to get her served. If the boyfriend lives with her, then he can be served in her place. You can also have the local police or sheriff do the service. This page does not constitute legal advice. These pages do not constitute, nor do they... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,450 answers this week

3,558 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,450 answers this week

3,558 attorneys answering