Process server has been attempting to serve papers for the last 2 weeks...

Pompano Beach, FL |

I spoke to my daughter and apparently she is being sued in Broward County Civil Court. The reason we know this is that there was mail for her left here recently although she does not live at our house for over a year. She actually lives several counties to the North. Her drivers license reflects this and she receives all of her mail at her current address except for this (1) collector. My question is should I open the door and tell the process server she no longer lives here?

I am very concerned with a "gutter" service. It happened to me last year. If the server drops the complaint paperwork on the porch.Then lies about her being here hiding without doing any of the due diligence in determining my daughters actual address.

You don't have to tell the process server anything. The process server has to serve your daughter personally. While there is such a thing as constructive service, that is achieved by serving someone 18 years old or older who resides in the same house as your daughter. Your daughter doesn't reside with you? Too bad so sad. Let the process server find her without your help. Good luck!

If you think my response is the best response, it would help me if you would indicate that. Also, please note that my responses to question(s) are NOT legal advice from me to you because I am NOT your lawyer, you are NOT my client, and we do NOT currently have an attorney-client relationship. Thanks!

2. Yes you should tell the process server your daughter no longer resides at your address, especially if you don't want process servers showing up at your house at all hours trying to serve your daughter.

The information on this website is provided as a service to the public. While the information on this site deals with legal issues, it does not constitute legal advice. If you have specific questions related to information available on this site, you are encouraged to consult an attorney who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask for free written information about a lawyer’s qualifications and experience. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice and none of the information presented here is intended to create a lawyer/client relationship. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

3. I would tell them. You are not obligated to tell them where she is (unless subpoenaed). I would look online for info on the case. Sometimes it pays to be proactive.

There is no substitute for the professional advice of an attorney who knows your case and represents you. My post is not, and may not be relied on as, legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Best wishes for a just and expeditious resolution.

Sued for debt topics