Procedures for eviction and length of time a contested one can take before the tenant has to leave...Please give me the protocol

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

My landlord has been negligent and has had a roommate torture me, so much I had to get an Restraining Order on him...I spent my money on a lawyer and have no money for rent, until the first of the month when my tenant from my rental pays me, but even when I get my rent I want to leave, but I can;t leave until June 1st, can I extend the eviction that long?...My landlord is starting eviction procedures tomorrow, April 23rd....

1. James Carl Eschen III

2

Answered . Whether you can extend the procedure that long does not really matter. The issue is whether you failed to comply with your obligations to your landlord as of the time that the notice was served, and that you then failed to comply with the notice. The landlord may agree to take your money on June 1, and you should certainly discuss that with him, but he has no obligation to do so.

Just what your landlord did to you is not clear. You should consult with a landlord-tenant attorney to determine whether you have a defense.