Skip to main content

Problems with parents

Waukesha, WI |

They are power of atturney of me. They been since I had ssd. They never trusted me with my own money. I have depression an bypolor. They think I am just going to spend all my money and not pay my bills, they never gave me that chance only when I was 19. Now I am 35 going on 36. I live alone. I have acount with my dad and my dad has a block on my acount and I cant see what is in my acount in less I go to my parents. I have a part time job I use that for gas and food and spending money. I get yelled at my parents for not paying my medical bill and they are the ones that have my money to do so.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. I'm not really sure what your question is. Sounds to me like you're just venting. If you have a question you'd like to ask, feel free to repost.

    The foregoing is intended to merely provide additional information to the individual posting the question and to anyone reading the question and/or answers provided. There is no specific legal advice provided. Specific advice cannot be given without first forming an attorney/client relationship. This informational answer is not legal advice, and should not be relied on, since it is impossible to appropriately evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

  2. If you are unable to manage your Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits (or if the Social Security Administration (SSA) thinks you can't) you will need someone to serve as your representative payee (often called a rep payee or payee). Your payee will be responsible for taking care of your benefits, and should be someone who cares about you and whom you trust to handle your money. You can get a payee in either of two ways: SSA can choose one for you or can you choose one. You can choose almost any adult, with the following exceptions:
    • You must not choose a person who provides a service to you for money (such as your doctor or your landlord) unless that person is a relative or is your legal guardian;
    • You must not choose a person who has previously misused anyone's Social Security benefits, and
    • You must not choose a person who has ever been found guilty of a crime against SSA.
    The person you choose must provide proof of identity and a Social Security card to SSA. The person should also go with you to any interviews you have with SSA, if possible.
    If you are unable to find a payee, SSA will give you a list of agencies that can serve as your payee. While you are reviewing the agencies on this list, SSA will keep paying your benefits directly to you while it determines whether or not you need a payee, unless SSA or a Court has found you incompetent or you have a drug or alcohol problem.

    Yes, you can change your payee if you wish. If you decide to change your payee, you should notify SSA as soon as you make the decision. You will need to fill out an application form at your local Social Security office.
    The person you choose to replace your present payee must provide SSA with a letter indicating that he/she is willing to serve as your payee and must provide SSA with proof of his/her identity.
    Once you’ve sent the application form and the new payee has sent the letter to SSA, the change in payee should take effect in about a month. You and your new payee should each receive a written notice of this before any benefits are paid to the new payee.

    You have a right to appeal several of the SSA’s decisions:
    • You may appeal SSA's determination that you need a payee;
    • You may appeal SSA’s decision to select a given payee for you;
    • You may appeal SSA’s denial of the person that you have chosen to be your payee, or
    • You may appeal SSA’s denial of your request to change your payee.
    • You can also appeal SSA's failure to pay your benefits directly to you while it is investigating its decision that you need a payee or while you are following through on SSA's suggestions for a possible payee.

    Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

  3. If your parents have the power of attorney and will not release funds for your support, they may be breaching a fiduciary duty. If so, you have a right to complain.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics