Problem with obtaining citizenship? Please help.

Asked 10 months ago - Tustin, CA

I got arrested for receiving stolen property, after community service the charge was dropped. I was issued green card shortly afterwards and USCIS knew all about the charge as well as the disposition. I also recently switched from a 2 yr green card to a 10 yr green card without any problem. Is there anything to worry about when I apply for citizenship? I remembered being told it would not be a problem at the USCIS office but just want to be sure. Thank you for your help.

1. Stephen D. Berman

5

Answered . You need five years good moral character, or three years if filing based on marriage. If you have had no problems in those 3 years, you should still have no problem. If it was not a "conviction" when you got your green card, it should not be one today either.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Berman ... you will probably be OK.

3. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

2

Answered . You need to establish good moral character for three or five years depending upon the basis for your naturalization application. Assuming you were not convicted and have had no subsequent criminal problems, you should be fine. If you want peace of mind take a copy of the certificate of disposition to an experienced immigration attorney.