Problem Neighbor and the contractors.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

Two guys walked out from neighbor yard with big shovel carried on their back and they walked to their black truck. They ignored me after I identified I am the owner, and "You are in my yard". They drove away but they drove back and they blocked the driveway to look at our house, then they drove away. Did research of the company because there was no name, what they do if they are contractors for the neighbor. Asked neighbor to confirm and she said yes, they are the contractors who works for XYZ company. Called the firm people, someone stated he own and manage the firm. Let him know the above but he stated he does not know anyone who own the black pick up truck or two tall guys with shovels. He made it sound like I was making story up and he would not apologize.

Additional information

I received the voice mail from the person who stated he owns the company, but it was not clear of what he said. I called him, and he stated one of the guy is a contractor, and the other guy works for him. They admitted that they walked in the yard. He stated it should not happen after the homeowner identified this is their property but it happened. He did not offer any remedy.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Marshall C Deason Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the people did not damage your property, it is unlikely that you would be able to recover any money for their trespass. If the trespass onto your property occurs again, you may want to consult an experienced real estate lawyer in your area about the remedies that are available to you.

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does... more
  2. William H. Kassebaum

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If it keeps occurring you could possibly file in county court a claim for breach of your "quiet enjoyment" of your home based on the neighbors GC continuing to disturb your residency by trespassing. If it were me I would draft a letter to them to provide proper notice and if they fail to change the conduct the court could step in. Note: if your in good relations with your neighbor talk to them again and see if they can rectify. I believe in alternative dispute resolutions on situations like this unless the trespassing party ( GC) and homeowner refuse to stop the conduct then you should file quiet enjoyment claim. Hope this helps- Bill

    DISCLAIMER: This answer is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between any user/... more
  3. Sean Michael Murrell

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . What damage are they causing when they walk through your yard? Sure, looking at it very technically, you do have a right to prevent someone from coming on your property (including your yard); but from a realistic perspective, what harm are they causing by walking across your yard? If your property isn't being damaged, then it's highly unlikely that you have any civil claim that would be worth the time and money to pursue.

    The information shared at this site should not be relied on as legal advice, nor does it form an attorney/client... more

Related Topics

Residential property

Residential property is real estate that has been developed or zoned to be used for living, such as single family houses, apartments or mobile home parks.

Neighbor law

Neighbor law deals with the legal rights and responsibilities involved with having neighbors. Examples include boundary disputes, noise, and blocked views.

Carl Engstrand

Arizona - Dog Bite Common Questions

This article’s purpose is to give the reader a brief glimpse into the aftermath of a dog bite. It is not intended as a full picture of a dog bite case. If you or a loved one is the victim... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,468 answers this week

2,554 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,468 answers this week

2,554 attorneys answering