Skip to main content

Problem clearing from the Army. Check being held but they want me to pay more. No other options.

Fayetteville, NC |
Filed under: Military law

Being in the military, I can't work anywhere else unless I ets. I am in the process of doing so. But I am waiting to finish turning in all of my CIF gear. Well some is missing because it was stolen. IA friend made the police report so a few things were left out and now I'm responsible. Well the issue is, they are keeping my check to cover this gear, but there is a remaining balance. I can't get money because I no longer paid. I can't work anywhere else while active. I can't get loans etc. Its a big loop. So I'm stuck. Is it legal for them to do this? I should've been done a month ago. I can't pay without my check but they won't give the check unless I pay. If I just leave can I get into serious trouble? Or is there a way I could have them just take my income tax? Please help.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Yes it is legal. If you leave, you will be in serious trouble. They can't hold you beyond your ETS date.

    This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.

  2. Dear " catch 22, " Try to get to get to the nearest legal assistance office at Fort Bragg. Hopefully a phone call or two from your local Jag will get you out of the "catch 22."

  3. Make an appointment with the Legal Assistance Officer on base. They will be able to help you and the service is free. Best of luck.

Military law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics