Problem clearing from the Army. Check being held but they want me to pay more. No other options.

Fayetteville, NC |
Filed under: Military law

Being in the military, I can't work anywhere else unless I ets. I am in the process of doing so. But I am waiting to finish turning in all of my CIF gear. Well some is missing because it was stolen. IA friend made the police report so a few things were left out and now I'm responsible. Well the issue is, they are keeping my check to cover this gear, but there is a remaining balance. I can't get money because I no longer paid. I can't work anywhere else while active. I can't get loans etc. Its a big loop. So I'm stuck. Is it legal for them to do this? I should've been done a month ago. I can't pay without my check but they won't give the check unless I pay. If I just leave can I get into serious trouble? Or is there a way I could have them just take my income tax? Please help.

Yes it is legal. If you leave, you will be in serious trouble. They can't hold you beyond your ETS date.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.

It is already beyond my ETS date. It was May 10. Thats when I stopped being paid and they are holding that check. But I have no way to pay for the rest of my CIF without it. I can't pay for anything. But I can't work either because I'm still attached to them. So I don't know what my options are.

They won't let me clear without paying for my CIF but I can't.

William Emil Cassara

William Emil Cassara

Go to the IG on Monday morning. They should not be able to hold you.

Okay. Thank you.

Dear " catch 22, " Try to get to get to the nearest legal assistance office at Fort Bragg. Hopefully a phone call or two from your local Jag will get you out of the "catch 22."

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Make an appointment with the Legal Assistance Officer on base. They will be able to help you and the service is free. Best of luck.

Thank you I appreciate your help.

Military law topics