Problem clearing from the Army. Check being held but they want me to pay more. No other options.

Asked over 1 year ago - Fayetteville, NC

Being in the military, I can't work anywhere else unless I ets. I am in the process of doing so. But I am waiting to finish turning in all of my CIF gear. Well some is missing because it was stolen. IA friend made the police report so a few things were left out and now I'm responsible. Well the issue is, they are keeping my check to cover this gear, but there is a remaining balance. I can't get money because I no longer paid. I can't work anywhere else while active. I can't get loans etc. Its a big loop. So I'm stuck. Is it legal for them to do this? I should've been done a month ago. I can't pay without my check but they won't give the check unless I pay. If I just leave can I get into serious trouble? Or is there a way I could have them just take my income tax? Please help.

1. 3

1

Answered . Yes it is legal. If you leave, you will be in serious trouble. They can't hold you beyond your ETS date.

2. 1

1

Answered . Make an appointment with the Legal Assistance Officer on base. They will be able to help you and the service is free. Best of luck.

3. Answered . Dear " catch 22, " Try to get to get to the nearest legal assistance office at Fort Bragg. Hopefully a phone call or two from your local Jag will get you out of the "catch 22."