Skip to main content

Probation was revoked and warrant re issued for a DWI because I didn't pay court fees. Should I turn myself in?

Houston, TX |

I received a DWI in 2010 and received probation.. which I served but didn't pay my court fees.. so warrant got re issued for the same DWI.. if I turn my self in how much jail time would I receive in Harrris county?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes, talk to bail bond company so that bond can be posted promptly-if there is any hope for you to work out a successful payment plan. Otherwise, you will need to serve at least enough time to work off the unpaid costs, but it could be as much as the original order for jail time. That will depend on decisions by attorneys and/or judge. No one will know the answer to your question now.

  2. Up to the amount of time from the original sentence. Can you pay the fees now? It might save you some time or even getting revoked. Talk to a Houston attorney to see what arrangements can be made.

    Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.

  3. Contact a criminal defense attorney to locate the warrant and redocket the case, appear in open court with counsel and prove you've paid it or have the funds to pay it that day. You need counsel to assist you ASAP.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  4. I agree that money often talks in these situations. If your only probation violation was failing to pay court fees, then by all means get the money (in full) to the probation department! It can only help your situation. Also, you financial inability to pay you financial obligations may be a defense to revocation. However, only a qualified criminal lawyer can tell you for sure.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics