PROBATION AND IMMIGRATION

Miami, FL |
Filed under: Immigration

A FRIEND OF MINE WAS IN COURT TODAY AND I JUST FIND OUT OVER THE PUBLIC RECORDS IN THE COUNTY WEBSITE THAT HE HAVE TO BE ON PROBATION FOR THE NEXT SIX MONTHS. I WAS WONDERING,SINCE HE IS NOT LEGAL IN THE US,WHAT'S NEXT? DID ICE TAKE HIM RIGHT AWAY TO AN IMMIGRATION FACILITY? HIS FAMILY LIVES IN ANOTHER COUNTRY,I'M LIKE THE MESSENGER BETWEEN THEM,BUT I'M CONFUSED AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAID.ANY ADVICE?

I don't completely understand your facts. Is your friend in immigration custody? If he is not lawfully in the U.S., he may well be subject to detention and removal. More facts will be needed.

Scott D. Pollock
Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 444-1940
fax: (312) 444-1950
e-mail: spollock@lawfirm1.com
internet: www.lawfirm1.com

He was in a county jail waiting for his trial,with an immigration hold,but he wasn't in their custody yet.He spend 3 months waiting for his trial. in jail,just because the hold.

I echo my colleague's concern about the facts. The answer would really depend on the nature of the conviction, if there was one, and the crime for which your friend was convicted. Also if your friend was placed into removal proceedings, relief from removal depends on many factors. I would advise you and your friend to seek the help of an immigration attorney who would be able to navigate through the legal issues involved in his case.

The answer to this question is general in nature and is based on the limited facts presented in the question. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and no such relationship will be formed with Mr. Yakzan until a formal consultation is conducted at his office.