Probate timeline.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Allentown, PA

My grandmother passed away , will admitted to probate 2 months ago. I'm a benificiary of estate. I live in another state . I spoke with executor a few months ago. I was wondering how often should I be notified, and do I have a right to know what's being done with her house and other assets by a certain time. Can I view an estate inventory by its due date? I'm new to all this. How do I know its being done right, he isn't using an attorney as of yet. What should I expect next. I know its early in the process. Thank all of you for taking time to answer our questions. M.B.

1. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . I would be worried as you are when an executor is not using an attorney. There is no one guiding him and looking over his shoulder. As a practical matter, you need to demand accountability and transparancy early on. Let him know that you want to be copied on major actions he is taking. As for the inventory, in PA it is not due until 9 months from the date of death. However, you may want to inquire at the register of wills as to how much he estimated the assets of the estate and request a copy of the will. In any event, prudence would dictate having an attorney to protect your interests and to let the executor know you mean business and that you are on this matter.

Hope this helps. Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net . For further tax advice visit his website at www.sjfpc.com . and blog at <>