Probate question: unmarried parents, minor child, no will, large estate.

Buffalo, NY |

My daughter's father is very ill. We were never married, but lived together for 7 years as a family prior to 2012. He never made a will. His assets are valued in excess of $1mill, incl. a luxury home, a factory, a business, machinery/equipment, and real estate. Our daughter is his only child. There is a woman who claims to have a child with him, was with dozens of other men at the same time, and paternity has never been tested or established; she may suddenly show up looking for a handout. He has a sister with an unpleasant disposition, who lives out of state and will be looking for a handout. Should he pass, what forms do I file with probate/surrogates ASAP to safeguard our daughter's inheritance? She is his only daughter, so everything should rightfully pass to her.

If your daughter's father is well enough and has the capacity to do so, he could make a will.

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.

You should speak to an estate attorney.

I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship

Your daughter's father should consult an estate attorney. Often, when a client is very ill attorneys are willing to do house visits. You may also want to consult an estate attorney separately to protect your daughter's interest. If there is no will, the estate will likely pass through intestacy and someone will have to petition the court to become Administrator, which is similar to an executor. The Administrator will distribute the assets of the estate by the laws of intestacy.

Your daughter is her father's sole heir at law. Is she a minor? You will need to retain a lawyer to bring a petition for administration of the father's estate. You cannot go this alone.

My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family"

Get him to sign a will right away. So long as he has capacity, we can sign a will and potentially save you years of litigation.

This answer is made for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party, any partnership, investment plan, arrangement, legal structure or other transaction addressed herein.

Like others, my first advice would be to have the father make a new will as quickly as possible. Often members of the national Academy of Elder Law attorneys are available and will even make house calls. You can find a member of the Academy at www.naela.org. In addition, if your daughter is a minor it may be important that you be formally appointed as her guardian. Even if you are your daughters custodian, if she is to have a claim against her father's estate she may need to have a guardian or, as it is sometimes called, a conservator, to act in her best interest with the court. The court may also appoint a guardian ad litem during the pendency of any probate. However, the most important thing is for the child's father to see a lawyer and if it all possible make it will, and also for you to contact an attorney as well to get the best possible legal advice.

Jeffrey Kevin Davis

Jeffrey Kevin Davis

Listen to the godfather of soul!!!!

Child custody topics