Skip to main content

Probate fraud

Washington, DC |
Filed under: Probate Probate court

What does "interim accounting" of the inventory mean? Too much legalese for me. Can I learn with my own attorney's, help what was withdrawn in the bank account by the personal rep? Until I receive some money from probate closing, I cannot hire an attorney to investigate what went on with money. My father had a conservator appointed (dementia) by the court. Wasn't it their role to pay his federal taxes for last year 2011?

Attorney Answers 2


Your summary is labeled "probate fraud" and that is a serious charge. That suggests that there is more here than simply not understanding the terminology of the paperwork.

You should meet with an attorney to discuss this, right away. You can either find an attorney who gives initial consultations at no charge, or someone who will wait to collect until you receive your share of the estate. But without an attorney to review your paperwork, you are groping in the dark, here.

You certainly do not want to accuse ANYONE of fraud without having compelling evidence, because you open yourself up to a defamation claim. The attorney can help you to understand what has transpired and how you should proceed, if at all.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees




I've been searching for the last 4 months for an attorney who will work on a contingency for our probate fraud. Any suggestions?

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick


I assume that you have checked the listings under the "find an attorney" link below? If not, that is a very easy was to check on attorneys. There are also other commercial sites such as LegalMatch and Both are good ways of locating attorneys in your area. You are going to want to stick with probate litigation attorneys. Good luck!


If you don't have the money to hire a lawyer call the court clerk and ask how to bring your issues before the judge.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics