Probate court has just 'closed estate administrative' I am an beneficiary to this estate. What exactly does that mean? thanks

Key Largo, FL |

This estate was opened in 2008. I have called the clerk and she said, in effect, the administrative part of the estate was frozen because the PR did not apparently comply somehow. I am representing myself for lack of money. I and the PR, as well as his lawyer are on very hostile non-communicative terms since the estate opened. My question what does 'closed estate administrative' mean? I assume it means that the PR is not allowed to follow through with the final distribution of the estate. My second question is - should I ask the court to remove him and appoint me or ask for a court appointee to finish the job. thank you much... Bill

Hard to tell based on this information alone. However, as a beneficiary and if the PR is not performing, you might file a Petition to have the PR removed and someone else appointed.

This does not constitute legal advice and is purely informational and we do not have an attorney-client relationship until a fee agreement is signed. The details of your case can vary slightly and the legal analysis can be then totally different. Do not rely on legal aswers to address your particular situation but seek a direct contact wih an attorney.

It's not completely clear from your question. But if they are telling you that the estate has been closed, it could mean that the judge has approved a petition to settle/close the estate, in which case you should be receiving your distribution soon. You can petition the court to remove the current PR if there are grounds to do so, but you couldn't serve as PR without your own attorney. In other words, it wouldn't be a do-it-yourself project.

Don't take anything written here as legal advice.I am happy to offer my thoughts free of charge, and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about representing you. Please be aware, though, that at this point we have not established an attorney-client relationship. An attorney client relationship requires me to agree in writing to represent you. Unless that happens, you shouldn’t take anything I say to be legal advice or make any decisions based on it.

You need to hire an attorney to represent you, if this is something you care about. I can only guess as to why the estate was close administratively. You may be able to figure it out if you are able to get an on-line docket, or go view the file.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

Wills and estates topics