Probate

Smithville, TX |

Would it simplify my wife's life at probate time if I put a few items that are in my name into her name such as 2 vehicles, a motorcycle, the house and take my name off of our checking and savings accounts. (Women mostly outlive their husbands and I have already had a very serious heart attack)

Thank all of you for your previous responses. A bunch of sharp cookies out there.

Ernie

Ernie:

You're doing yourself and your family a great service to give these issues some consideration before they become realities. Thankfully, the probate process in Texas is not typically difficult for surviving spouses when even a modest degree of planning is put in place. A well-drafted Last Will and Testament, paired with Powers of Attorney to address any period of incapacity would serve you very well.

Giving assets away during your lifetime is certainly a tried-and-true method of avoiding probate, but it is unlikely that doing so would obviate the necessity of the process. The fact is that it's actually pretty tricky for most folks to die owning nothing. Removing the vehicles and the home from your estate might make things simpler, but dealing with them in probate does not usually add any significant effort or expense. On the other hand, if you deal away those assets now, you lose every ability to direct their disposition in the future, which is something worth considering. You should also consider that probate is not always just about beneficiaries and the transfer of property. A creditor, for example, has the right to initiate probate proceedings.

As for the bank accounts, you might consider looking into the account structure itself. Visit with your financial institution about "payable on death" provisions, which, if properly done, could easily streamline things.

Aside from beneficiary designations on bank accounts, I've not typically encouraged a plan like you're imagining. Other lawyers might disagree, but with some simple and sound estate planning, there isn't much to fear in most Texas probate cases. I'd follow up on the bank accounts, make sure that I've got the basic estate planning I've mentioned in place and leave it at that.

This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of Texas only, and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to Texas. This answer is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation, and is for promotional purposes only. You should never rely on this answer alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney-client relationship.

One additional point is that if you gift property during your lifetime the donee does not get a step up in basis to date of death value. This may be an important consideration if the home or other assets have a low basis and a high value. You should meet with an estates attorney and the prior attorney has shown a lot of expertise in the numerous answers I have seen posted at this forum. You may be well served to give him a call.

Yikes. If dad had assets in his own name they are controlled by his will and his estate must be probated and such assets will pass in accordance with the will. Mom's estate needs to be probated also for any assets in her name or any assets that were held jointly that become her own assets at dad's death. Get with an estates attorney now. This should have been done in 2010. Your problems cannot be solved without retaining such a lawyer.

Hope this helps. If you like this answer and have a Google account , please hit the +1 sign above. It takes just a second to do this and it would be most appreciated and would help others. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Wills and estates topics