Pro Se Bill of Review..?

Asked 6 months ago - College Station, TX

How difficult is it to file a bill of review pro se? I know how important it is to hire an attorney but unfortunatley that is not possible and legal aid can not help due to lack of lawyers, I know there is a 4 year window to due so but what should i look forward to? Its a family law matter

1. Monica Elaine Williams

3

Answered . I agree with both of the previous posts. It will be difficult to pursue this remedy on your own, and that is assuming that you have correctly identified your remedy. You will need to spend some time in the law library researching your issue and the procedure for pursuing a BOR. Good luck!

2. Matthew L. Harris Esq.

2

Answered . You are a brave soul attempting to pursue a Bill of Review pro se. Even experienced attorneys have difficulty in this area.

Are you certain that a BOR is the appropriate step? It is difficult to tell you exactly what to expect without more information as to what your BOR is for.

3. JaPaula C Kemp

Pro

2

Answered . I agree, it might be difficult for a pro se party. It requires proof of (1) a meritorious defense, (2) that was not asserted due to fraud, accident, or wrongful act of an opponent or official mistake, (3) unmixed with any fault or negligence by the movant. You will also need to get familiar with some case law. Good luck.

4. Kathryn Mary Holton

Answered . I can imagine trying to take this on as a layman. I have maybe once or twice in my 24 years see a pro-se litigant prevail on anything due to the complex nature of practicing law. Most lawyers don't really come in to their own until many years of practice, after 4 years of college and 3 years of law school. I would either wait for legal aid or interview newly licensed lawyers who may charge much less. Good Luck.