Pro Se Adoption

Spokane, WA |

I have been apart from my ex-husband for almost 10 years. Our marriage produced a child. I finally left due to domestic violence and threats by him. My current husband has raised this child for 9 years and we would like him to adopt our son. What are the steps or where can I go to get information on how to do an adoption Pro Se in Spokane Washington? We cannot afford several thousands of dollars to hire an attorney.

You also cannot afford to have an abusive ex-husband targeting your family for more violence.

If done right, this probably won't be hard. Chances of it being done "right" without a lawyer who has actually handled several adoptions? Not too good. I can't speak to WA law (I'm in GA), but it sounds to me like you'd be asking for trouble trying to do this by yourselves. Good luck!

The Family Law court facilitator at the courthouse may be able to point you in the right direction. It sounds like what you are wanting to do is terminate the father's rights and do a step parent adoption. Unfortunately, these are the type of cases where the facilitator may not be much help and there aren't any standard forms or instructions to do it.

The hardest part in those actions is getting either the father to agree (so he stops having to pay support or college expenses) or serving him if he doesn't agree. In Spokane County, if you have been married for over a year, the court does not require a pre-placement home study, which is where a lot of the expense comes in with regular adoptions. Unless you are low income and can get the filing fee waived, it is $220. If you know where father is, you can have an attorney send him the necessary pleadings with an explanation of the benefits of agreeing and it can be done for about $1,500. If it is contested, it can be a lot more.

What you didn't say is what contacts the father has had over the years and what was ordered in the Parenting Plan when you divorced. Unless he agrees, if he has had any contact, you will have a very hard time.