Pro Se

Miami, FL |

I know that it is never wise to try to be one's own attorney, but it seems to sometimes be the only choice. What are some suggestions for going pro se? Are there attorneys who may give pointers as a consulting fee or even law students who could help in drafting documents? Are there any organizations that might help?

1. First, you don't state what the suit is about, or whether you are to be the plaintiff or defendant. That said, let me say without any doubt, sometimes you can't afford to be without an attorney. If, you can afford to go without an attorney, the key is teaching yourself as much as possible. Law students are not attorneys, and unless they are part of an approved program should not be giving any advice. Besides, they have very little or no experience. Many attorneys, for a small fee, do ghost write pleadings and give pointers and advice to pro se litigants. It's sort of the between ground of having an attorney and not having one. As for organizations, once again, they can not give legal advice regarding a specific matter. There are organizations that can provide resources, but you need to read them and decide whether it applies, how best to proceed, and which forms to use.

The law is complicated and although the facts expressed may seem to be all that is relevant, there may be many other important facts to consider. Also, the law is constantly undergoing change, so what may be correct today, may not be accurate tomorrow. Only a full consultation with an attorney experienced or knowledgeable in the specific legal subject matter is likely to result in the optimal course of action. My practice has entailed more than a 30 year span of many real estate, personal property, and bankruptcy issues. Find out more about me at: FloridaPropertyLitigation.com.