Pro Se

Asked almost 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I know that it is never wise to try to be one's own attorney, but it seems to sometimes be the only choice. What are some suggestions for going pro se? Are there attorneys who may give pointers as a consulting fee or even law students who could help in drafting documents? Are there any organizations that might help?

1. Rex Edward Russo

Pro

Answered . First, you don't state what the suit is about, or whether you are to be the plaintiff or defendant. That said, let me say without any doubt, sometimes you can't afford to be without an attorney. If, you can afford to go without an attorney, the key is teaching yourself as much as possible. Law students are not attorneys, and unless they are part of an approved program should not be giving any advice. Besides, they have very little or no experience. Many attorneys, for a small fee, do ghost write pleadings and give pointers and advice to pro se litigants. It's sort of the between ground of having an attorney and not having one. As for organizations, once again, they can not give legal advice regarding a specific matter. There are organizations that can provide resources, but you need to read them and decide whether it applies, how best to proceed, and which forms to use.