Skip to main content

Pro bono Appeals Lawyer in Missouri.

Springfield, MO |

Need attny to file, and proceed with an direct appeal of a criminal case believed to be mishandled by PDO. PDA requested continuous, who was not prepared for case and was denied. PDA failed to contact, interview witnesses or call any witness involved in case on behalf of defense. Attny failed to get documentation (evidence) admitted reference medical /Psychological exam of alleged victim which showed inconclusive/denial of a crime commited. Court even allowed photocopy of clergy-inmate written communication discussion of alleged crime, of which jail mail clerk "copied" and provided to ADA for use in court proceedings, Note: letter/envlp marked :legal/confindencial by Pod Supv. NEED help facing life in prison.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You should discuss the filing of a notice of appeal with the public defender who handled the case. It is very important that this be done immediately, because a notice of appeal must be filed within 10 days of final judgment. It should be noted that your appellate public defender may be different than your trial public defender. Even if you are dissatisfied with the public defender's office at this point, I recommend that you do not try to proceed on appeal without an attorney. This is because there are specific briefing rules that must be followed in the appellate courts in Missouri. Failure to comply with the rules may result in the dismissal of your appeal. If you do wish to proceed on appeal without an attorney because you cannot afford one, you need to file a motion to proceed in forma pauperis, which, if granted, will permit you to file your appeal without the payment of filing fees.

If you decide to proceed without an attorney, you should access the appellate court's website to view copies of the Court Rules of Appellate Procedure and the Local Rules of Procedure. I believe Springfield, Missouri, is the home of the Southern District Court of Appeals. Also, the Eastern District publishes an "ABC's of Appellate Practice" that you can download. Here is a link:

Good luck.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer