Private Party - lemon Law in Texas

Richardson, TX |
Filed under: Lemon law Used cars

i am a student and I bought a car from a private party for $5000. Within a week the car broke down on the highway.

i had a 100 point check done at firestone and the mechanic said that the car was in good condition.

Can i ask for a refund from the private party, if the car defect was preexisting?

Is there a lemon lax in TX that will save me?

Most state lemon laws only cover vehicles that were purchased new and Texas is one of them. It sounds like your car was purchased used from a private person so it's probably not covered by your state lemon law. You can always ask for a refund, but don't count on getting it. In a private sale, generally the only obligation on the seller is to answer your questions honestly and not hide anything that they know you would want to know about. You can find out what your state lemon law says by checking a summary of it on this web site page: The only way to tell for sure what your legal rights are would be to talk to a Consumer Law attorney near you. Call your local attorney bar association and ask for a referral to a Consumer Law attorney. But don't wait too long because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to file a claim in court before your rights expire (it's called the statute of limitations). You can read more about buying a used car in Texas on this web site page here:

Lemon law topics