Primary parent not following Order (not enrolling child in extra-curricular, not informing me of info). What can co-parent do?

Dallas, TX |
Filed under: Family law

Child Modification dated 05/2013 states the child to be acitve in gymnastics. Multiple requests have been made for child to be enrolled in gymnastics as ordered and primary parent states will not enroll until she finds a house to buy with her boyfriend. The Order states to use a Parent Facilitator for conflict but I know from experience that would be a waste of time and money because the primary parent will continue to argue and not follow the order. Can I just file some type of motion with the court?

1. If you are ordered to use a Parenting Facilitator, DO IT.

You can file an enforcement action if the other party is not following the order. Hire a lawyer.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

2. If she's not complying with the terms of the order, you'll need to file a motion for enforcement.

3. Since a Parent Facilitator is in place you need to go through him/her first. Ask the facilitator to give you a date to shoot for to get these issue resolved. If they are not resolved by then you need to hire and attorney to file a motion to enforce the 5/2013 order.

4. I agree with the above attorneys - however, also think that this is exactly the type of issue that you and the primary parent will need to coparent over the years. Which is why a facilitator exists - the expectation is that over time you will be resolving these matters between yourselves. A motion to enforce will likely require a clarification since in my experience, these clauses are rarely specific enough to be enforceable. Have you considered enrolling the child in gymnastics yourself?

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state