Primary Beneficiary Deceased - how are assets distributed?

Atlanta, GA |

My grandfather had mutual fund with my father and his brother as beneficiaries. My father predeceased my grandfather. As the only child am I entitle to my father's share. This is the wording for the mutual fund. " If any primary beneficiary is deceased at the time of your death,
his or her assets will be divided proportionately among your surviving primary beneficiaries.
Your secondary beneficiaries will inherit your assets only if you have no surviving primary beneficiaries at the time of your death. ' The will states all real, person and tangible property is to be divided among surviving children, per stirpes. '

Since the fund apparently passes outside the will, the will is irrelevant. Assuming your father's brother is living and the facts you posted are correct, you get none of the mutual fund.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

No, you will not receive any insurance as one of the primary beneficiaries is alive.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

I agree with my colleagues. If your uncle is alive, then he would take all. If he is not alive, then secondary beneficiaries take per stirpes (meaning dad's heirs get 1/2 & uncle's heirs get 1/2).

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates