Primarily a civil rights law suit. I need to know how fees would work. A % of a settlement or attorney's fees?

Asked 8 months ago - Seattle, WA

Elder Law, Harassment under The Landlord Tenant Act, Freedom of Expression (first amendment
violations are very clear. Management would claim my non-cooperation over a fumigation process.
However, I can establish that Management was subverting any agreement in order to continue to harass me. Also in December I was harassed about paying my rent when the bank had information
that SHA had never cashed the check. So the blame for any of this has always been heaped on me.
More recently I have become ill. The chemicals used to fumigate are increasing the severity of
my symptoms.

Adult Protective Services at DSHS will be conducting an investigation. I have given the investigator
stack of information.

I need to know how fees work. A % of settlement or the defendant pays?

Irmsch

1. Jonathan R. Miller

1

Answered . Fee arrangements vary from attorney to attorney. Certain statutes may provide for fee-shifting whereby a losing defendant has to pay the prevailing plaintiff's reasonable attorneys fees, but I am not a Washington attorney and express no opinion as to the various statutes you mention. Some attorneys may be willing to take on a case like this on a contingency basis. Other may want an hourly rate.

2. Jennifer L. Ellis

Pro

Answered . It depends on a number of circumstances. However, more often than not, in a good case, you have contingent fee. So a percentage of the case along with fees would come out of the settlement.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . Prepare for a difficult challenge in finding skilled and experienced contingency counsel for a case built on these facts. Lots of reasons why most attorneys who practice in the civil rights field would not find this case a good bet. And when you ask an attorney to work first, for free, with the hope of payment only if the case is successful, you are asking that attorney to place a BET -- a bet on you, on the facts, the judge, the jury, and the facts not yet investigated and determined. It's a huge gamble with huge entry costs for the lawyer, and marginal cases do not often get bet on.

Sorry, but to offer you the service of candor, this will be a marginal case even if all that you contend is proven.