Press the paternity test done to determine if I'm the father or should I wait for the divorce process to get to that point?

Asked over 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

Girl from my past is saying I could be the father. She is currently married and had an affair last January. Husband knows and claims she doesn't look like him. Her daughter was born in October, 9 months after affair. She is going thru a divorce and saying once it gets to child support, he will probably argue whether he is the father. Should I press the subject and get the paternity test done at a lab to determine if I'm the father so I can be a part of the child's life, or should I wait for the divorce process to get to that point. Keep in mind she has not filed papers yet, she has them and needs to go down and talk to someone to get them filed. I'm not sure how long it would take for child support to come into play and the determination of who the father is. If this is my child, I don't want it to be too late or for this to look negatively on me when I go to get custody.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If you want to be deemed the legal father of your child, then what is happening in someone else's divorce should not be your primary concern. Rather, you should take steps to establish paternity as soon as possible. I suggest you have a confidential consultation with a local attorney immediately so you can fully review all your rights, options and obligations before you take any action. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more
  2. Timothy Joseph Mummert


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You should consult with a lawyer to discuss the situation. A child born of the marriage is presumed to be a child of the marriage. Because of technology, the General Assembly passed a law that permits a challenge to paternity as a married man. However, if the test results come back the Husband is not the father, that does not mean he is relieved of his responsibilities of being a father. The court must then consider what is in the best interest of the children.

    If you want to be part of the child's life, you need independent counsel and take the necessary legal actions to protect your legal rights. This is a tricky situation and needs to begin sooner than later.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,104 answers this week

3,194 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,104 answers this week

3,194 attorneys answering