Skip to main content

President pardon

Miami, FL |
Filed under: Civil rights

Can a president pardon restore my civil right include firearm permission?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Yes, in theory. But your chances of getting a Presidential pardon - and I say this knowing nothing about your situation than what you've written here - are substantially less than your chances of being struck by lightning.

    Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

  2. Yes.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

  3. Mr. Spicoli, why do you shamelessly waste my time?

  4. The President cannot pardon a state criminal crime, only a federal or military crime.

  5. If you want your civil rights restored including the right to posessess and own a firearm, you will have to Petition the Clemency Board in Tallahassee. You should retain an attorney locally if you want it to go smoothly. Good Luck.

    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

  6. There is a petition process administered by the ATF (Alcohol Tabacco and Firearms) (a federal agency) that can restore your firearms rights under federal law-- no state agency or action can restore your federal rights. While getting ATF to grant your petition is very difficult--- and I can't emphasize that enough--- its considerably more likely than getting a Presidential Pardon. You would need an experienced federal criminal attorney to assist you with your ATF application.

Civil rights topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics