President pardon

Asked almost 2 years ago - Miami, FL

Can a president pardon restore my civil right include firearm permission?

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Jay Bodzin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, in theory. But your chances of getting a Presidential pardon - and I say this knowing nothing about your situation than what you've written here - are substantially less than your chances of being struck by lightning.

    Please read the following notice:

    Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more
  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of... more
  3. James P Brady

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Mr. Spicoli, why do you shamelessly waste my time?

  4. Richard Earl Hornsby

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . The President cannot pardon a state criminal crime, only a federal or military crime.

  5. Betty Elaine Jones


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . If you want your civil rights restored including the right to posessess and own a firearm, you will have to Petition the Clemency Board in Tallahassee. You should retain an attorney locally if you want it to go smoothly. Good Luck.

    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

  6. Robert M. Herz


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There is a petition process administered by the ATF (Alcohol Tabacco and Firearms) (a federal agency) that can restore your firearms rights under federal law-- no state agency or action can restore your federal rights. While getting ATF to grant your petition is very difficult--- and I can't emphasize that enough--- its considerably more likely than getting a Presidential Pardon. You would need an experienced federal criminal attorney to assist you with your ATF application.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,455 answers this week

3,639 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,455 answers this week

3,639 attorneys answering