Preparing for a debtors examination tomorrow...any last minute advice?

El Centro, CA |

I will be conducting a debtors exam tomorrow, and am running down my list of questions to ask the debtor. The debtor owes me money from when I worked at their business and they never paid me. The debtor listed the business as an incorporation so I am not sure if that will affect the type of questions I can as. I have prepared both business and personal questions in regards to finances and assets. Is there any other advice, questions, or information I should know before going in to the examination? Any help is much appreciated.

The best suggestion I can make is that you don't rush through the exam, and that if your questions are not answered you ask the judge to intervene. In fact, you will be sent out by the court to start your exam. However, before you leave to start the exam, you should ask the court what the procedure is in the event you need court intervention, and by what time you have to be back in court to obtain help from the court. If you asked for the debtor to bring documents, if he failed to bring any, bring that to the attention of the court too. Good luck.

THIS RESPONSE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. IT HAS BEEN PROVIDED FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Mann is licensed to practice in the State of California. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this educational exchange. Moreover, the facts provided by you were not sufficient to allow Mr. Mann to advise you specifically regarding what you should or should not do. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Mann is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter, or to take any action whatsoever.

Make sure you ask them if they have any money in their wallet with them. Remind them they are under oath. If they have some collect it from them there.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes