Preparing a Formal Judgment-- Do I serve to OP?

Asked about 2 years ago - West Sacramento, CA

In his Tentative Decision, the judge asked me (petitioner pro per) to prepare judgment within ten days of Statement of Decision.

I Have those prepared but don't understand if I am to serve these to OP (my ex) as well as file them in the court, or just file them with the court.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Whenever you file any documents with the Court, you must also have a copy served on the opposing counsel. The person to serve the documents must be at least 18 years old and not a party to the action.

    Essentially, the judge asked you to prepare a "proposed" judgment with a proof of service indicating that you served a copy on the opposing party. If the opposing party does not object to the proposed judgment, then the Court will sign it, and you will receive a signed copy of your judgment in the mail--make sure you provide the court with a SASE. Good luck.

    By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,969 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,969 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering