Prenuptial agreement lists house as separate, but asked to pay for HOA fees and utilities.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

If entering a premarital agreement and the house is listed as separate property, but the non-house owner is asked to cover costs of utilities or pay HOA fees, how does that figure into the "separate property" issue? Does the premarital agreement need to reflect that or does something like a separate "renter's agreement" need to be added or drafted?

1. Michael Charles Schwerin

4

1

Answered . The whole pre-marital agreement has to be reviewed by an attorney. If you do not have a reviewing attorney your pre-marital agreement may not be enforceable. To answer your question though, the utilities and HOA dues do not add value to the house. They are ongoing monthly maintenance and use expenses and thus if you are living in the property, should be paid out of community property. But, that being said, without reviewing the whole agreement I cannot tell you whether or not this is fair or right in this situation. If you have not had it completely reviewed by an attorney, then the agreement may not be worth the paper it is printed on.

2. Edna Carroll Straus

1

Answered . No, you do not need a renter's agreement. As suggested by counsel you may need a much better prenup with expert advice. The internet cannot replace expert advice on such issues.

3. John P Corrigan

2

Answered . In the Prenups I have seen, many times there is a dedicated ARTICLE dealing with the couple's ongoing maintenance expenses and how same is to be funded in terms of responsibility. This of course has nothing to do with the home being separate property or not (as per my colleagues answer on this). Depending on the level of income of each spouse the agreement can describe whatever the 2 parties think are fair in this regard while they are married. Alternatively, I have seen other agreements where it is not even discussed at all as an agreed upon provision in which case the couple work it out on their own as to how they want to manage this aspect of life.