Pregnant and getting charged with DUI, blow test was inconclusive?

Asked over 2 years ago - Wheeling, WV

Was driving my extremely intoxicated boyfriend home from the Casino when I went over the yellow line while turning onto my street. The officers turned on their lights and since I was right directly in front of my house I pulled forward to parallel park into my designated parking spot. I rolled down my window and the officer started screaming at me saying that I had tried to run into his cruiser. I politely told him No, i was parking into my parking space. He told me that the car smelled of alcohol and I told him my boyfriend was sloppy drunk but I was newly pregnant and haven't been drinking. He had me step out of the car and take a field test. I failed all three. They took me to headquarters for a breathalyzer and the results were inconclusive. I cant afford a paid attorney WHAT DO I DO!?

1. Eric Adigwe Ogwude

4

Answered . If you truly can't afford a DWI/DUI attorney, then when you go to your hearing, request a court appointed attorney. However, it is my strong suggestion that you contact a local attorney who is well versed, or ideally NHTSA Certified, in standardized field sobriety tests. Especially if they have a video of your tests, a good attorney can challenge your number of cues, or the validity of the tests due to improper procedure, induced false positives, etc.

This answer is not intended as legal advice. The response does not create an attorney client relationship.
  2. Philip Daniel Hache

Pro

1

Answered . If you can not afford to hire an experienced DUI attorney, then use the public defender. That is a better alternative than trying to represent yourself in court on a DUI charge, which are complicated to defend. Also, I am concerned that you say the breath tests were inconclusive. Did they then ask you to take a blood test? And if so, did you refuse the blood test? That could potentially raise other issues if that's what happened. Good luck. Congratulations on the new pregnancy. Children are a gift!