Pre-employment background check by third party company - denied employment

Arlington, VA |

I applied for a part-time job in the County where I currently hold a full-time job with local Government. The company requires background checks. The third party sent the company general hits on a person/persons from a name search and date of birth only. As a result I was denied employment. I have ordered my criminal background check from the State Troopers Office in Virginia. Beyond that what can I do to prove to the potential employer the person/persons in this report is not me?

If it was not you, I would suggest getting a copy of the background check and pulling the record of conviction for those cases. Then the identification of the person on the record would be easy. If the potential employer will not give you the background check, ask for the company that did the check and the type of background detail they used. Then buy a copy of it from that company for yourself. If it was a case of stolen identity, then you will have to dig deeper. I have handled cases like that before and it was a time consuming mess. We won but it was tedious but well worth it to my client, the victim.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Brian Geno
Geno Law Firm
Red Maple Court Office Condominiums
10617 Jones Street, Suite 201-B
Fairfax, VA 22030
703-691-GENO (4366) Office
703-691-4774 Fax
info@BrianGeno.com Email www.NovaAttorney.com Web