Skip to main content

Ppl have freedom of speech but posts about me by a former friend on social media have been slanderous. any recourse?

Edison, NJ |

What has been written ~ Allegations of theft. Allegations of adultery. Allegations of child abuse and neglect of my children. Allegations of immorality. Though very painful - I vow none of them are true. She also hacked my FB account & wrote ppl posing as me. I used her mini computer & didn't sign out & she really did a number on me. Would I have to hire someone to prove that these messages came from her IP address following the return of the computer to her person through certified messenger service. I am a minister and she cursed people out, cost me appointments (money), damaged my character & wrote threatening messages & gave harmful advice to young ppl in crisis (suicidal youth). She has threatened to harm my children & I through texts. Is there anything legally that I can do

Attorney Answers 2


Contact your local police and bring them the evidence that you have.

Leonard R. Boyer, Esq. 201-.675-.5577. If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer" Please be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


WOW! You should report this immediately to the police and file a complaint. If you have financial damages, which you state you do, you can file a civil suit based on libel and slander. You need to get a factual and chronological history together, like telling a story to someone who has no knowledge of this, and attach all documents you have to support it. Then go to the police and/or an attorney for proper legal advice.

Mark as helpful

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics