Power of attorney, lawyers and fees

Lindenhurst, NY |

I have power of attorney.
I have to deal with Fema.
They are not recognizing it because they are incompetent they have no legal eagles in their team not because it's not good.
I talked to a lawyer to see what their fee would be to talk to them.
My questions are can the lawyer also force them to repay me the fee without filing a lawsuit against them for it?
Can I also file for damages against them for not recognizing it?

Thank you

If your lawyer can negotiate that they pay your legal fee, then great. Not likely. You are entitled to legal fees if by contractual agree,net or by statute. Speak with the lawyer that you consulted with about the statutory provision for legal fees , if any.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

No the lawyer can not force them to pay his fee. Yes you can file for damages for not recognizing the validity of the power but whst are your damages other than legal fees and you are not likely to succeed.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

First of all, go back to FEMA and ask the person to tell you specifically why the POA is not being recognized. Is it:

a) lack of witnesses?
b) lack of notarization?
c) wrong formal name of the person you're trying to help?

If an answer such as one of the above is not given, you need to speak to the person's supervisor. Keep going higher and higher in the FEMA chain until you're given a legitimate answer. Once you have it, then speak with an attorney about whether FEMA's position is correct. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates