Power of attorney, lawyers and fees

Asked over 1 year ago - Lindenhurst, NY

I have power of attorney.
I have to deal with Fema.
They are not recognizing it because they are incompetent they have no legal eagles in their team not because it's not good.
I talked to a lawyer to see what their fee would be to talk to them.
My questions are can the lawyer also force them to repay me the fee without filing a lawsuit against them for it?
Can I also file for damages against them for not recognizing it?

Thank you

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . If your lawyer can negotiate that they pay your legal fee, then great. Not likely. You are entitled to legal fees if by contractual agree,net or by statute. Speak with the lawyer that you consulted with about the statutory provision for legal fees , if any.

2. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

2

1

Answered . First of all, go back to FEMA and ask the person to tell you specifically why the POA is not being recognized. Is it:

a) lack of witnesses?
    b) lack of notarization?
    c) wrong formal name of the person you're trying to help?
    etc.

If an answer such as one of the above is not given, you need to speak to the person's supervisor. Keep going higher and higher in the FEMA chain until you're given a legitimate answer. Once you have it, then speak with an attorney about whether FEMA's position is correct. Good luck to you.

3. Richard J. Chertock

Pro

1

1

Answered . No the lawyer can not force them to pay his fee. Yes you can file for damages for not recognizing the validity of the power but whst are your damages other than legal fees and you are not likely to succeed.