Postponing USCIS appt. to avoid temporary green card, wise or not?

Asked about 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

I received a notice for an interview for my green card, however it is exactly one week before my 2 year anniversary. From my understanding, if approved it would only be for 2 years since its before the 2 yr mark. Therefore, I was wondering if postponing my interview would be wise in order to get the 10 yr green card. Also what reasons would be good enough other than not wanting a temporary green card. Is there a possibility of being denied? any suggestions are greatly appreciate it.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have a bona fide reason for not attending request another interview. If you don't you should attend.

  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree, you must have a valid reason for missing the interview. Unless you do, I would go to the interview and simply ask the officer if they can delay the approval 1 week. They don't necessarily approve on the day of the interview, the officer may do you a favor.

    This answer is for general informational purposes and does not take the place of a consultation with an... more
  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attend

    Disclaimer: This answer is for informational purposes and does not take the place of a consultation with an... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are asking for closer scrutiny of the case if there is a frivolous reason produced for not attending the interview. The I-485 could even be denied in such an eventuality.

  5. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not attending an I-485 interview in order to get the 10 year green card is not a valid reason. You should attend, preferably with an attorney, unless you have an emergency that requires you to postpone. Don't take risks with your future; follow the rules.

    Answers provided by Ksenia Maiorova, Esq. on are of a general nature and do not constitute legal advice.
  6. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As long as you are honest, it can't hurt to ask. Worst case--the Service says no, and you attend, and have to do the I-751 a couple years down the road. Best case--the agency says yes, and you can avoid the time and expense of the I-751.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,220 answers this week

3,855 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,220 answers this week

3,855 attorneys answering