Postponing USCIS appt. to avoid temporary green card, wise or not?

Orlando, FL |

I received a notice for an interview for my green card, however it is exactly one week before my 2 year anniversary. From my understanding, if approved it would only be for 2 years since its before the 2 yr mark. Therefore, I was wondering if postponing my interview would be wise in order to get the 10 yr green card. Also what reasons would be good enough other than not wanting a temporary green card. Is there a possibility of being denied? any suggestions are greatly appreciate it.

1. If you have a bona fide reason for not attending request another interview. If you don't you should attend.

2. You are asking for closer scrutiny of the case if there is a frivolous reason produced for not attending the interview. The I-485 could even be denied in such an eventuality.

3. I agree, you must have a valid reason for missing the interview. Unless you do, I would go to the interview and simply ask the officer if they can delay the approval 1 week. They don't necessarily approve on the day of the interview, the officer may do you a favor.

This answer is for general informational purposes and does not take the place of a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. Not attending an I-485 interview in order to get the 10 year green card is not a valid reason. You should attend, preferably with an attorney, unless you have an emergency that requires you to postpone. Don't take risks with your future; follow the rules.

Answers provided by Ksenia Maiorova, Esq. on Avvo.com are of a general nature and do not constitute legal advice.

5. Attend

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational purposes and does not take the place of a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

6. As long as you are honest, it can't hurt to ask. Worst case--the Service says no, and you attend, and have to do the I-751 a couple years down the road. Best case--the agency says yes, and you can avoid the time and expense of the I-751.

Marriage and prenups topics