Skip to main content

Posting bail on time

Anaheim, CA |

I have to post bail on 10/7/13 which is in 3 days and the amount is almost 600$ I have trial on the 31st ...what if I cant make the payment in full on time can I make a payment plan? What do I do?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. This question lacks specific facts for a meaningful answer. In addition, you don't wish to mention the specific facts in public so I suggest contacting your attorney. If you don't have an attorney, then many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. Good luck.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

  2. The other attorney is correct. You haven't posted enough information. We would need to know if you're being charged with a misdemeanor or infraction. From the amount that you indicate, I would guess that you are charged with an infraction and you are contesting some ticket that an officer gave you? If that is the case, you should go back to the clerk's window where you were assigned the trial date and explain your predicament to the clerk. Often, the clerks have an Income and Expense Declaration that you can fill out and perhaps get approved so that you don't have to post bail to have a trial date. Knowledge is power. Be proactive. You'll be much smarter when you show up and a judge is asking you why you didn't post bail. You can explain what efforts you utilized to pay for bail and what you did by coming to court early and inquiring about O.R. (Own Recognizance) release.

  3. If you are posting bail by means of paying a bail bondsman (i.e. you are being charged with a felony or misdemeanor), talk to the bail bondsman and see if he or she will work with you on this.

    If you are posting bail with the court, ask the clerk if the court can move the 10/7 date a week or two, or continue trial for a month to give you more time to post bail.

  4. Since you say the amount of bail is approximately $600.00, you may be referring to a traffic citation. If so, simply go down to the courthouse before the bail is due and ask for your case to be sent into the judge. If you are indigent and have insufficient funds to post bail, ask the judge to allow you to set a trial date without posting the bail. Then the judge may accept your "Promise to Appear" for your court dates in lieu of posting bail. This is called an "O.R." Own Recognizance release. Good luck.

    Criminal Defense Attorney & DUI Lawyer Disclaimer: The criminal defense, DUI, DMV, drivers license suspension, theft shoplifting, drug crime, domestic violence or other criminal defense information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results portrayed here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ if based on different facts. Please contact us for California criminal defense, DUI DMV drunk driving defense in Los Angeles County and Orange County. This "Answer" on AVVO is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of California.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics