Posting bail on time

Asked 11 months ago - Anaheim, CA

I have to post bail on 10/7/13 which is in 3 days and the amount is almost 600$ I have trial on the 31st ...what if I cant make the payment in full on time can I make a payment plan? What do I do?

1. Donald Guy Sowers

Pro

2

1

Answered . Since you say the amount of bail is approximately $600.00, you may be referring to a traffic citation. If so, simply go down to the courthouse before the bail is due and ask for your case to be sent into the judge. If you are indigent and have insufficient funds to post bail, ask the judge to allow you to set a trial date without posting the bail. Then the judge may accept your "Promise to Appear" for your court dates in lieu of posting bail. This is called an "O.R." Own Recognizance release. Good luck.

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

1

Answered . This question lacks specific facts for a meaningful answer. In addition, you don't wish to mention the specific facts in public so I suggest contacting your attorney. If you don't have an attorney, then many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. Good luck.

3. Kiarash Feyzjou

1

Answered . The other attorney is correct. You haven't posted enough information. We would need to know if you're being charged with a misdemeanor or infraction. From the amount that you indicate, I would guess that you are charged with an infraction and you are contesting some ticket that an officer gave you? If that is the case, you should go back to the clerk's window where you were assigned the trial date and explain your predicament to the clerk. Often, the clerks have an Income and Expense Declaration that you can fill out and perhaps get approved so that you don't have to post bail to have a trial date. Knowledge is power. Be proactive. You'll be much smarter when you show up and a judge is asking you why you didn't post bail. You can explain what efforts you utilized to pay for bail and what you did by coming to court early and inquiring about O.R. (Own Recognizance) release.

4. Greg Thomas Hill

1

Answered . If you are posting bail by means of paying a bail bondsman (i.e. you are being charged with a felony or misdemeanor), talk to the bail bondsman and see if he or she will work with you on this.

If you are posting bail with the court, ask the clerk if the court can move the 10/7 date a week or two, or continue trial for a month to give you more time to post bail.