Post Judgment, father abandoned our children for over 9 years. C.S.S. decided to go after him, as revenge he wants rights

Asked over 1 year ago - Hemet, CA

Biological father abandoned both children in 2004 (for 9 years). My children and I have been with my current husband since 2003. He opened an adoption case in 2008 and we were granted and received an Order for Freedom of Custody and Control January 9, 2009. With the help of Child Support, biological father sent me a petition for Modification of the current standing order dated April of 2004, granting me full legal and physical custody of both children and he supervised visitations for refusal to take drug screens. But we have the Order for Freedom from Custody and Control dated after our last court Judgment. Do I have grounds for dismissal? After all these years Child support opened a can of worms going after Bio and he is now furious and wants revenge!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Nadine Marie Jett

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It seems you need to complete the adotion. Once the children are adopted, the biological father has no rights, none, to requests vistitation.
    The past due support, is still owed. Any support order in effect, is owed up until the moment teh children are adopted.
    If the past due child support is nonwelfare, you can agree to waive it.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more
  2. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, Nadine is on the money, finish the adoptions

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 39 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I in Los... more
  3. Debra Vaniman Crawford


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You need to look at the "order" carefully to see if it is actually an order. If it is he should have no rights or obligations.

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Mother's rights in child custody

Mother's rights covers the parental rights of the mother. These rights primarily relate to child custody, visitation, and child support.

Wendy J. Norman

Mothers’ Rights

A mother has certain legal rights pertaining to her children. When a mother needs legal assistance with child custody, support, visitation or paternity, a family law attorney can advise her... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,485 answers this week

2,701 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,485 answers this week

2,701 attorneys answering