Skip to main content

Post - nuptial Agreement

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ |

My pregnant wife cheated on me with her X bf , I am willing to forgive her but don't want to deal with this again , Could i get a post - nupital agreement in New jersey saying if she ever cheats on me and if she ever gets into any kind of contact with her x bf , i can divorce her and she is not going to get any alimony or assets from the marriage ( other than her car or her things). My question was does this qualify for a legal Post - nup agreement or does it come under duress ?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. FIrst of all if your wife is pregnant and cheating then you absolutely have to question paternity. 1 in 3 disputed fathers are in fact not dad. Mom is not going to admit it hello? Don't be that ignorant of the reality. It means she loves him more than you or she is simply that lacking in good moral character. Also make sure part of this involves moms willingness to consent to a paternity test immediately after birth and put that agreement in writing. The time to think about not being embarrassed was before cheating, 2nd, if she will sign a mid marriage agreement in exchange for remaining married now, and you word it properly it should hold up down the road if you ever become divorced. the language must be professional of course. If she refuses any of this at all, accept that she really does not love or respect you enough and immediately divorce her and you can address whatever child issues you have after the birth. Don't waste your life while the stress kills you and your wife inherits it. i have seen too many good people ruin themselves in this fashion. Seriously, respect yourself. Good luck.

  2. Any midnuptial/postnuptial agreement has to address potential coercion or duress. But the one you outlined would not be enforceable.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

  3. Post nuptial agreements are the most vulnerable for holding them valid. They must be done correctly and not in a state of duress. I also believe that one with terms of fault which you describe may not be enforceable. You definitely need legal assistance for this one.

    973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

  4. I don't think that duress would be as big an issue as "unconscionability." An agreement has to be at least somewhat fair for a judge to enforce it. It might be more realistic to determine exactly what will happen if you divorce - saying how much alimony and for how long. Minimize the legal fees if things don't work out. Also, you could look into a Limited Divorce, which caps your liability on equitable distribution and alimony. You can't address custody or CS in an agreement, though, that's against public policy.

    IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.

  5. I agree with Attorney Ceretto. Good answer.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics