Possible violation by banker? Discrimination? Equal lending laws.

Las Vegas, NV |

I went to open a checking account for my business. The banker was unsure and unfamiliar how to read my business documents. I received a phone call from the branch manager that she doesn't feel comfortable opening a checking account for my business. She prefers to deal with more established existing relationships.

I would like to go back and ask for a business credit card application and see what they say.

1. You do not give enough facts to be able to tell if the discrimination was illegal or not. Banks are in the business of discriminating, they just cannot do it on an illegal basis ( race, sex, religion, national origin, age, etc) . You must also prove this is the "real reason" the bank did not want to do business with you rather than the fact they did not understand your business or thought you had not been in business long enough for them to open an account. If you think you have been discriminated against on one of the prohibited reasons above, I would suggest you use the find a lawyer tab above to locate an attorney in your area. There are several attorneys who offer free initial consultations who will explain your legal rights. Good Luck.

Nothing herein is intended to create an attorney client relationship and the response is intended to provide generally a broad response to the area posed by the question. Each question is governed by unique facts and no answer provided is intended to specifically answer the question, but is a general overview of the area of law contained in the question.

2. A bank has no requirement to deal with any particular business, unless it is for an illegal reason.

And granting credit to a new business as itself, rather than to the owner, is *extremely* unlikely.