Possible under the table ADOPTION that may have never taken place and now I stand here no b/c at 42. read below please

Sarasota, FL |

a lot to tell. Simply put I was told I was adopted in 72. I never had a b/c. I have a copy for the original the agency mailed it to me. But, Surrogate Court- Suffolk County so far they can not produce a file. they need formal written consent to open records to look for an actual order. If they can find a file. I called acs who is having their legal department pull my foster records. my mom has been telling me Im worried. They state declined her interview and home study and notified her she wouldn't get a child at all.. but a clerk from that court signed the paper they gave my mom. money exchanged hands. I have had problems with my ss # since I was little as well. someone was going to college with my ss when I was7. I need help resolving this n why they allowed an unfit person to take me.

Back then, you could maybe have been kidnapped or given away improperly - they did not have they same kinds of systems for tracking missing children, and they didn't have DNA testing. Do you know for sure you were in the foster care system? If you had an agency that sounds like a private adoption, not DCF, which would have been HRS back then. So if you are 42 now you were born in 1942? Therefore you really have no idea what happened?

It seemed like the first thing to do is open your adoption records. There is a process in Florida for doing this and this would be a reason to do it. You have to get an attorney, file a petition, and have a hearing. You need to contact an adoption attorney in the Sarasota area as soon as possible.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

NOT 1942, 1972 TYPO Sorry!!!!

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

My math skills are not that poor!

thank you. I was bon in NY cant do from here I don't think. The state interviewed her and said no way. I have a copy of original. my brother is attempting to get a certified copy of the original which means I need to do a name change if he gets it. It was Talbot Perkins Children Services. anyone who was adopted when it was closed. Chapin got their records, foster kids went back to acs. Chapin looked, and the division in NY Surrogate Court Suffolk County looked. I had my parents sign waivers, the biological family will sign something that she is deceased and he can make req on her behalf. I have been working this over a year. I keep getting letters back that sorry you don't exist. I need it because I don't want to lose my ssdi and medicare I have cancer and need my services. But I soon wont have a valid DL to even get the kids registered to their new schools. By a home etc. That bothers me, but the real injustice is I was told I was taken from a foster mother who wanted me and given to a woman who was interviewed by the state saying unfit and somehow she gets me and the clerk signs the duly ordered papers. gave it to my mom with no bc. she should never should have gotten me if the records show she was unfit. non the less, husband used to practice law and tells me be direct. so sorry told you too much. but. they cant find the adoption records. but, there is a original bc. I have a copy, but then I have to petition to change my name and no adoption takes place. its weird

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Oh. There is a Suffolk County in Florida also. If all this took place in NY, you need to post this question with a NY address. NY may have a completely different system for opening an adoption file. But your problem is complex enough that you will need a lawyer, and given today's documentation requirements, you are probably going to need to pursue this sooner rather than later. You won't be able to get a passport and you may not be able to renew your DL when it comes up.

I have been trying to get one there. Hard to find someone who can help there. Soon I cant fly either without a dl.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

I know. I feel terrible for you. I have a friend who was adopted by her stepfather in Hawaii, and just getting a copy of her birth certificate to travel was a nightmare. You can look for attorneys in NY here on AVVO. I would put some serious effort into finding one you feel comfortable with.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

If you really have trouble, find an adoption attorney here who can help you locate one in NY and work with them, help keep you in the loop, etc. It will cost a little more, but it may smooth the process and give you some peace of mind.

I am trying. but again I have been knocking on doors for almost a year. Im trying. I am requesting them to be open at the courthouse via the waivers the sent for me, adoptive parents, and my bio sibling, we are requesting records from nys (reg registry), then we are requesting from chapin who took over talbert perkins, and the foster records. someone has to know something. ugh .. Ill try to change this to ny. didn't realize how that works. sorry.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Given all those problems, it may be worth your while to have an attorney in both states. I'm so sorry this is so difficult. I'm so sorry your parents did this to you. Times have changed so much since 9/11, and you are clearly an innocent victim. Try to hang in there.

Im trying. I feel bad. Someone went to college when I was 7 on my ss #. bought houses and cars. Thought I had identity theft. went bankrupt and had it take of my record. Then I was told since Im on ssdi, for cancer that someone is using the number to work. Im thinking if I don't have a bc, now I have to petition the court to make that right to. Seriously want to go after the state for allowing an unfit mother who didn't want kids get me. That's sad. My bio mom would visit everyday I was told she couldn't make up his mind. So Im at a stuck point.... If I don't have a bc, is my marriage still legal?? Im looking for a divorce attorney as well. But, need the certificate soon. might be better to have one on both ends. thank you for your help

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Your marriage is probably legal, but you need to talk to SS about getting a new number. I know they are very hard to deal with, but that might help with the BC too. That may be your number, or maybe it is really the other person's number and if someone stole you as a baby they gave you someone else's number. Have you ever spoken to the police?

honestly this has been hard. I have rare cancer and a brain shunt. my children have medical issues. so its hard to figure out all the steps. I guess I wait for records since non of the NY ones I called directly wont help. time will tell

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

I'm really sorry. If you have the funds, I would try to find a lawyer in Sarasota to help you navigate with all this. Especially if you are ill and don't work all this out, it may compromise your medical and retirement benefits, and benefits for your children when you are deceased. The ramifications for you and your family are extensive.

okay wait. so its like being punished for something I didn't do intentionally. we have to fix this. thank you. I reposted under riverhead ny thank you

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

That's exactly what it is like. It is totally unfair to you.