Skip to main content

Possible to maintain terms of my rental agreement when adding my immigrant spouse's name to it?

San Francisco, CA |

I am on the lease for an older (pre-1950) apartment in San Francisco. I signed a one year lease in 2007. I am now on month-to-month status there.

I am happy with the terms of my rental agreement but have married a foreign citizen, and we now live together in my apartment. For immigration purposes, we have been strongly advised to add her name to the rental agreement as evidence of a good faith marriage for the green card review.

I requested to add her name the existing agreement but the property manager said that the building owner has changed/updated the rental agreement for the building. I am worried about the new contract having less favorable rental terms.

Is there anyway I can ensure maintaining the exact same terms of my current agreement while just adding my wife name to it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


As far as showing the bona fides of the marriage, yes rental agreement will be one evidence to provide.
It is a matter of priorities if you are more concerned about maintaining the terms of a rental agreement than obtaining lawful permanent resident for your wife, then certainly make the right choice for you.
Is it not something you both have to discuss and decide what is in the best interest of the BOTH of you?
Immigration process needs to be pursued with seriousness to obtain the anticipated result and it is always best to get it right the first time.
Just food for thought.
You are advised to contact an immigration lawyer to discuss your concerns, if you have suficient evidence it might not be necessary to have the rental agreement as evidence.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer