Possible to cancel child support before court date?

Westminster, CA |

I received a letter saying I must attend court for my child support. Is it possible to cancel it before my court date?

i am receiving state benefits but they close their case in 09. i reopened it again late 2012 myself. everything was good for, papers signed, everything agreed; til i received a letter saying i must attend court? is it possible to cancel the child support before the court date?

1. It is not exactly clear from your post just where your case it at. Did you ask the state to obtain child support orders for you and in response the filed a motion for support and it is set for hearing and you have changed your mind about wanting support so you want to cancel the hearing? Or is you situation one where you are collecting state benefits and the state, on your behalf, is seeking support orders in addition to reimbursement for the benefits paid to you? Please post more information and I will gladly respond as best I can. Thank you.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. You should not be afraid to appear in court if you have not lied on any of the documents you filed. If you are going through Child Support Services, you will meet with the attorney beforehand, and may even not have to appear in front of the judge at all. Most non-lawyers are afraid to make a court appearance--but that isn't a reason to withdraw your child support request. I am including links below which may help you to understand the process and lessen your anxiety. Good luck.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

Child support topics