Possible punishments for disorderly conduct and possession?

Asked about 1 year ago - Cincinnati, OH

My friend was a arrested earlier today for disorderly conduct, he says he was drunk at a house party and also a small amount of marijuana was found on him? He's still locked up on the drug charge with a $100 bail. This is his second possession charge, the first one was dropped and he also has plead guilty to a Obstruction of justice charge. He also had a open flask charge and a bunch of driving on a suspended license charges dropped. He's 22 and a student if that helps.

I don't want to bail him out if after court there is a possibility he could be found guilty and sentenced to jail. Also he doesn't want a public defender this go around, he wants to hire a lawyer. Is it worth it to bail him out and pay money for a lawyer? are these charges punishable by jail or just tickets?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Joanna Lenefonte

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If your friend doesn't want a public defender then he should hire and attorney immediately. I would not suggest he try to fight these charges without an attorney present. Ohio mandates a six month license suspension with a drug possession charge. Additionally, as a student a drug charge can negatively affect any loans or grants for school as well as future job opportunities.
    As far as possible penalties go, that will depend on the level of offense with which he was charged. It could be as slight as a minor misdemeanor (which carries no jail time) or as high as a first degree misdemeanor (which carries up to 180 days in jail). I advise he speaks with private counsel immediately. Best of luck in this case.

    Attorney Joanna Lenefonte
    Beck Law Office, L. L. C.
    1370 N. Fairfield Rd, Ste C
    Beavercreek, OH 45432
    (937) 426-4000

  2. Chase Randall Carter

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . It would depend on what level of charge he received. Disorderly conduct has several levels to it ranging from non jailable to jailable. Possession of marijuana, a small amount, is a minor misdemeanor which carries no jail time. However, all drug offenses in the State of Ohio carry a mandatory license suspension of a minimum six months. I would recommend he gets an attorney as soon as possible.

    Answers given by Chase R. Carter, partner at Carter and George LLC do not constitute legal advice. Answers given... more
  3. Christopher Lee Beck


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . It is much better for you to use the money to hire an attorney instead of bail. Bail is a short term fix and hiring an attorney could lead to a long term fix. Disorderly conduct could be charged as a minor misdemeanor which doesn't carry jail or a fourth degree misdemeanor which carries up to 30 days in jail. Possession of weed less than 100grams does not carry any jail time but it does carry loss of the ability to obtain student loans or grants, loss of his driver's license, and inability to travel overseas. It can also keep him from working in certain career fields or certain professional licensure. I suggest you hire him a lawyer to assist him. The lawyer may even be able to get an own recognizance bond.

    Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    1370 North Fairfield Rd.
    Suite C
    Beavercreek, Ohio 45432
    (937)426-4000 phone

    The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Criminal charges for disorderly conduct

Disorderly conduct, usually a misdemeanor charge, means disrupting the peace or public space through threatening, disruptive, lewd, or drunken behavior.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,770 answers this week

2,905 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,770 answers this week

2,905 attorneys answering