Skip to main content

Possible consequences for DUI conviction

Naperville, IL |

I was pulled over in Dupage County illinois. When the cop asked me to perform a breathalyser, however i refused. I passed the tests he administered outside my vehicle but i was still arrested for Illegal alcohol consumption(since im 19), zero tolerance dui, and speeding. It says on my ticket i will lose my license for 6 months! Since i did not blow is there any way of me getting the charges dropped or a lesser charge perhaps?

Attorney Answers 3


You'll have to ask an ILL attorney about getting the charges reduced on this offense. You should know that in most states a refusal to submit to a chemical test carries penalties as bad as or worse than a dui. And that's especially true if your are under 21.

Mark as helpful


You have 2 problems. One is a potential suspension for refusing the breath test, which can be from 6-12 months. You may challenge this with an attorney. The attorney should be able to give you an idea about the chances of success after a full consultation. The second issue is the criminal DUI charge. This too can be challenged in court. I handle these matters every day, so feel free to call me at 630-665-8780 if you wish.

Mark as helpful


If you refused chemical testing and have a 6 month suspension, it sounds like the officer gave you a "zero tolerance" suspension rather than a "statutory summary" suspension. Unfortunately, that suspension cannot be challenged in court, but may be challenged with the Secretary of State of Illinois. You also face two class A misdemeanor charges before the DuPage county court in Wheaton, Illinois - one for the DUI, and another for illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor. You'll need the services of an experienced attorney as soon as possible. Below is a link to my website where more information can be had.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics