Possible Bigamy Charges

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

I need advice about bigamy. I am currently living in florida and I am married and live in florida. However, I was very unhappy with my wife and I met another woman from Argentina, who I love a lot but she pressured me to get married. I made the mistake of getting married with her in Argentina this past January(now I know it was very stupid from me to do so). Now the Argentina woman found out I am actually still married and is threatening to press charges in the United States. Can anyone advise me on this? I would greatly appreciate. Please note that I have just filed for divorce of my legal wife in Florida because I am very unhappy with her.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

3

12

Answered . Your second marriage is void or voidable because you were previously married, please work with a local divorce attny and he or she will help you. take care.

2. Eileen D. Jacobs

3

Answered . You absolutely must consult with an attorney in your county at your very earliest opportunity. You may be facing serious issues and will need assistance in getting this matter resolved.

Eileen D. Jacobs, Esq.
    Office: 2505 W. Virginia Avenue
    Tampa, FL 33607
    (813) 877-9600
    Mailing: P.O. Box 14953
    Clearwater, Florida 33766-4953
    (727) 787-6595

3. Jay Bodzin

2

Best Answer

Answered . It appears that you have, in fact, married two people at once, which means that your second marriage is void. You should consult with an attorney who practices in Florida to see whether this exposes you to any criminal liability - and to help you with your divorce.

In the meantime, though, remember this: There is no such thing as "pressing charges." This is a common misconception. Criminal cases are brought by the police and district attorney (or Federal criminal investigators and United States Attorney, for federal crimes). Private citizens can report crimes to the police and can cooperate with the prosecutors in their cases, but that's all they can do. No private person, not even a crime victim, can legally compel (or refuse) the prosecution of any crime. So even if you did break the law, this Argentinian woman would have to persuade the police and your local DA to prosecute you - she has no power to do it herself.

Please read the following notice:

4. Aaron James Irving

Pro

2

Answered . We are a local family law firm. We'd be happy to speak with you regarding a dissolution of marriage in Duval County.

Bottom line, if you are unhappy, then you should consider divorce and/or marriage counseling if the marriage is salvageable.

www.integritylawjax.com