POSSESSION ON THE 7TH

New York, NY |
Filed under: Immigration

I was arrested with possession on the 7th in NY, pled guilty to Disorderly Conduct, can you still inadmissible even thought you were never convicted of possession on the 7th?, then if I travel I will
have problem at POE even thought I pled guilty to Disorderly Conduct?......
I'm very confused now.

1. I am confused as well. What do you mean by "possession on the 7th"?

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. Disorderly conduct conviction is likely not a crime involving moral turpitude. If it is, it will most likely fall in petty offense exception. Possessiom is a crime involving moral turpitude but you were not convicted. I do.not expext problems at POE based on these facts.

3. Disorderly Conduct is not a crime in New York and will not hurt your immigration.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. Depends on what the original charge was. I strongly suggest that you not leave the the U.S. before consulting with an immigration attorney.

This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.