Possession of marijuana and paraphanelia

Asked about 2 years ago - Shelton, WA

My son was stopped for speeding and the officer after writing the ticket came back to the car and said he smelled pot and kept insisting he open the glove box. Then he said either you open it or I will get the dogs. Is that legal? Also he has an appointment tomorrow to get his medical marijuana card which he should have done along time ago, will that help him when he goes to court? This is not his first offense. The first was I think in 2002,and it was dropped as an illegal search,the 2nd in 2005, and he has had a neg driving, which was from taking his prescription meds and driving. That was also in 2005.

1. Scott Weymouth Lawrence

Pro

Answered . The officer can threaten to do anything he is legally allowed to do. He would have probably been within his rights to detain your son have a drug dog come out and sniff around. If the dog "hit" on the car he could tow the car and apply for a warrant to search the vehicle.

There may be other issues such as: if the officer ran his criminal record then decided to ask to search based on prior offenses, instead of odor or other PC, or if your son invoked his right to counsel or right to remain silent. You need to talk to an attorney about all of the facts to determine if there is anything illegal that occurred.

The medical marijuana card may or may not be of any help negotiating with the prosecutor, or at sentencing with the judge. It does not give him a defense to the charge. The affirmative defense is only available if you have a current prescription and provide the officer with the prescription at the time.

To be convicted of Negligent Driving First Degree a person must be taking illegal drugs. If he had a valid prescription at the time, he had probably had a DUI that was plead down to Neg 1. As such he should already be well aware that he can be charged for DUI if driving under the influence of marijuana, even if he has a medical marijuana card.

2. William Karl Kirk

Pro

Answered . I agree with Mr. Lawrence that you should seek legal advice on this. Essentially, the officer was asking for a "consent" search but gained that consent through threats. The "inevitable discovery" doctrine will be in play here. In Washington, the Hammond opinion states that the odor of marijuana from the car is probable cause to arrest the driver for possession. There are many layers of complexity to this issue.