Possession of Controlled Substance (Marijuana) - What should I do?

Caldwell, ID |

I was in a car with 3 of my friends and we got a cop called on us. The cops said they could smell the marijuana from outside the car, so one of the officers told me to get out of the car and asked me where it was. So I told him that I had a small bag on the floor. 2 of my friends got charged with paraphernalia. My friend and I got charged with possession. Should I plead guilty? I told the cop everything and was honest with him.

It is my first offense and I have no money to afford a lawyer.

Do not plead guilty - Consult with a local criminal attorney ASAP!!!!

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

What if I cannot afford a lawyer?

Michael R Crosner

Michael R Crosner

If you qualify request that the public defender to appointed to represent you. Sorry, since I am not a ID attorney I can not advise you on their procedure for obtaining a public defender or other court appointed counsel.

"What should I do?" Retain the best criminal defense counsel you can afford and SHUT UP. Discussing your case in a public forum is suicidal. Contact Avvo customer service about deleting your post.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Can you help get this deleted please! I didn't know I couldn't say that.

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

I flagged it in case that will help.

You said that you can't afford a lawyer, but you need one. Either borrow money to invest in a lawyer or ask the court to appoint a public defender to represent you.

Based on the information you provided, I see potential defenses depending upon answers to additional questions that I would have if you were sitting in front of me. An aggressive criminal defense lawyer will get a thorough understanding of all of the facts and circumstances and fight for you. A conviction for a drug-related offense has consequences beyond what the statute says, it could affect your ability to get student loans. Get a lawyer asap! And good luck to you!

How much do you think it would cost?

William J. O'Connor

William J. O'Connor

It depends on the lawyer. And Avvo has rules that disallows lawyers from overtly recruiting clients via this website, so none should engage in that type of conversation with you on here. Your best bet is to contact lawyers individually (not on this public forum's board) if you may be interested in that lawyer's services. Some lawyers charge for their initial consultations, while others do not, like me and several others that I know. I recommend that you contact a lawyer who will give you a free consultation. After the consultation, the lawyer should be able to give you a fee that her or she would accept to represent you.

Never plead guilty. Hire an attorney to handle plea negotiations in order to try and protect your record. If it is your first time there is a good chance that the charges will be reduced.

Traffic tickets topics