Possession of Controlled Substance (Marijuana) - What should I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Caldwell, ID

I was in a car with 3 of my friends and we got a cop called on us. The cops said they could smell the marijuana from outside the car, so one of the officers told me to get out of the car and asked me where it was. So I told him that I had a small bag on the floor. 2 of my friends got charged with paraphernalia. My friend and I got charged with possession. Should I plead guilty? I told the cop everything and was honest with him.

It is my first offense and I have no money to afford a lawyer.

1. Paula Brown Sinclair

2

Answered . "What should I do?" Retain the best criminal defense counsel you can afford and SHUT UP. Discussing your case in a public forum is suicidal. Contact Avvo customer service about deleting your post.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Michael R Crosner

1

Best Answer

Answered . Do not plead guilty - Consult with a local criminal attorney ASAP!!!!

3. William J. O'Connor

1

Answered . You said that you can't afford a lawyer, but you need one. Either borrow money to invest in a lawyer or ask the court to appoint a public defender to represent you.

Based on the information you provided, I see potential defenses depending upon answers to additional questions that I would have if you were sitting in front of me. An aggressive criminal defense lawyer will get a thorough understanding of all of the facts and circumstances and fight for you. A conviction for a drug-related offense has consequences beyond what the statute says, it could affect your ability to get student loans. Get a lawyer asap! And good luck to you!

4. David P Galison

1

Answered . Never plead guilty. Hire an attorney to handle plea negotiations in order to try and protect your record. If it is your first time there is a good chance that the charges will be reduced.