Positives and Negatives about contacting my company immigration lawyer regarding my arrest case which was dismissed-H1B stamping

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I was arrested for a shoplifting incident but the case was dismissed and I did not plea guilty. I will be traveling to India to get a H1B stamping. What are the positives and negatives about talking to the immigration attorney who filed for my H1B through my company. I have never had direct contact with the attorney. Will the attorney be under any kind of obligation to inform my employer? I am worried how my employer will react and want to avoid any kind of issues. Please advise me on the positive and negatives regarding this. Thank you

1. Aneliya M. Angelova

Pro

4

1

Answered . This is tricky as the employer is the attorney's client and you are the beneficiary of their attorney-client relationship. You were not convicted, which is good, so as long as you disclosed your arrest, you should be fine.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.
  2. Angela Teide Moore

4

1

Answered . I canu nderstand your dilemma but I think it's best to disclose especially since the charge was dismissed. You were not found guilty and you did not admit to guilt. Just come clean. All the best.

3. KiKi Maria Mosley

Pro

1

1

Answered . I agree with fellow counsel. As long as the case was dismissed against you, not dismissed as long as you do not incur any other criminal issues against you for a specific amount of time, you should be fine. Full disclosure, in my opinion, is the best policy.

Pro

2

1

Answered . So long as you disclosed your arrest, you should be good